Sleeping Positions – The Wrong Ways & The Right ways!
We often seek relief from our body’s aches and pains through restful sleep. However, you may be adding more stress then you are reducing depending on your sleep position! We’re here today to recommend the best sleeping positions for your body – but first let’s identify the worst positions and what we want to avoid.
- Flat on back: sleeping on the back without a pillow will make your swayback worse.
- On back with lots of pillows: puts strain on neck, arms and shoulders.
- Face down: this sleeping position exaggerates swayback and puts strain on your neck and shoulders. (Bending one leg does not relieve swayback!)
- Lying on side with knees bent
- Sleeping on your back with knees supported by a pillow
Ideally you should sleep on your back with an ergonomic cervical pillow. Many people have a difficult time sleeping on their back or they snore while sleeping on their back. The solution, and the second-best position to sleep, is side-sleeping. It should be kept in mind that side-sleeping tends to bend the spine in an awkward manner. Because of this we recommend putting a pillow between your knees, or even better getting a body pillow.
Here at the office we currently carry a cervical pillow. Information from the “Tri Core” Cervical Pillow website is as follows. The following information is exactly why Dr. Colquitt specifically recommends this company to all his cervical patients.
Specifications on the “Tri Core” Cervical Pillow:
- Most Requested Fiber Orthopedic Support Pillow.
- Designed to correct and maintain cervical alignment.
- Tri-Core pillows are beneficial to those who sleep on their side as well as for back sleepers.
- Tri-Core pillows’ unique trapezoid center cradles the head and supports the neck to help align the neck and the head in their proper positions.
- Because the cervical curve is supported in its neutral position, using Tri-Core pillows helps to correct nerve malfunction and promotes healing of injuries. More importantly, Tri-Core pillows promote good health while providing maximum comfort by preserving the normal curvature of the neck and spine.
- Two different sized lobes provide better fit for different sized sleepers.
- Bottom: Smaller Neck Support
- Top: Larger Neck Support
- Side Lobes are taller than the trapezoid center, to accommodate side sleeping.
- High resiliency fiber springs back when compressed. Blended cotton cover is breathable and soft. Fiberfill provides softer support and lasts longer.
- Tri-Core is a premium product with 240 thread count, deluxe material and a very high quality soft luxurious fiber that lasts a long time and offers correction and comfort.
- Smaller versions available to fit petite and child body types. (Mid-Core & Petite-Core pillows)
Please give us a call with any questions or interest you have in the “Tri Core” pillow! We would be glad to provide any information about purchasing a cervical pillow.
We can be reached at 410-497-6075